Received the IWEC (International Women Entrepreneurial Challenge) award in Brussels, Belgium in November 2016. Only three women were selected from India for this prestigious award.
Lalita Nijhawan hails from a family that has dedicated their lives and wealth for the welfare of society. She has taken forward this responsibility with complete commitment and vigour. She is also involved in social work such as providing medical and educational facilities to the less fortunate. She is involved in several social projects that include running different centres for skill development in rural areas, orphanages, women’s rights and empowerment. She has concentrated her energies to uplift the poor that live in urban and rural parts of India.
Lalita Nijhawan is actively associated with FICCI, and has represented Indian women in the U.S. and Canada. She has spoken on Indian Women for the New Jersey Television. She is the President of CKRDT Foundation that helps different organisations in the country for nation building activities. She has awarded cheque money to nationalbhajan singers in Mumbai for a some years.
As an educationist, she funds schools in tribal areas of Banswara. There are about 346 schools and 42,000 students. These schools have now spread to Tripura where there are 345 schools and 12254 students.
Work with women
- She is the co-convener of GIA (Group of Intellectuals & Academicians), which was started in 2015. The group takes up different issues which are ailing the country, especially the women of India. GIA held a press conference in Kerala and Delhi regarding the Jisha case, which played a part in the arrest of the rapist.
- She helps run a girls orphanage in Haridwar, where she assisted in the marriage of three girls in 2005; two girls who also studied in the orphanage have since become teachers.
- She has been holding seminars in Delhi University and educating the girl students there about different schemes of the Government that can help them become entrepreneurs and understand their legal rights.
- She helps facilitate skill development and vocational training for women and girls regularly.
Work with children
- For the past 24 years, she has been working at the ground level for women and the girl-child belonging to the most vulnerable and marginalized sections of the society living in tribal areas. When she started there were no roads to these villages; to hire even one teacher was not possible whereas now, these villages are flourishing in terms of improved societies through education, awareness, and empowerment.
- Through the Panini Kanya Vidyalaya, Varanasi, she is promoting the learning of Sanskrit among girls for better awareness about India’s culture.
- She holds personality development classes along with teaching yoga and karate for self-defense for girls.
- She also ensures that all the facilities that she works with have female toilets.
- She regularly arranges for medical facilities like vaccinations, polio drops, visits to doctors, etc. and organizes classes about hygiene and sanitation.
Lalita Nijhawan’s first foray into the field of entrepreneurship was setting up a pre-school in Vasant Vihar named‘Little People’. After running it successfully for 10 years, she entered the corporate world under the banner of ‘Nijhawan Travel Service (P) Ltd.’ It currently has 49 offices in India.
In 1998, she started ‘Travel Boutique’ in order to cater to and fulfill all travel needs of customers under one roof, from providing domestic and international ticketing to arranging inbound and outbound tours, hotels etc. She has been in business for the last 34 years and has received numerous awards through her journey.
At present, The Nijhawan Group has different verticals like Travel Boutique Online (largest B2B travel portal, travel technology, online travel solutions, worldwide hotel representation), retail outlets of Adidas, Levi’s and Benetton, salons, catering in the name of Fork N Spoon, financial services, angel investments in many start-ups in the internet world, mobile app developing services (e.g, Dineout, InShorts), and e-Commerce. Recently, the group has entered into Air Charter business. The group has flourished in 43 cities and 15 countries, having 28 retail outlets in India alone.
The group is established in India, the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe & Latin America, now planning to expand to Far East.